Sunday, May 21, 2017

Final Letter from the MTC! Week 9

We've done it!!! 
We've gotten through the MTC!
Sister Wright flies to Tahiti Monday!


I can't believe it's week 9 - the time has gone by so much faster than I thought it would. I was a bit emotional yesterday, as it hit me that I would be sending my last "dearelder" letter. Honestly, I had mixed feelings about it. From here on out, we will no longer be able to have the luxury of sending Mickey "same day" or "next day" letters and packages. Our mail will now take anywhere from one to three weeks to receive. If we email that she'll only be able to open once a week. I'm sure this will be an adjustment, not just for Sister Wright, but some of us as well ...okay, me!

Seour Wright is SO excited to be going to Tahiti! She has expressed that to us SO much. However, I think that even amidst the excitement, she is feeling nervous. In this week's letter, she expressed to us the things she loves about the MTC:


-safety net                    -personal stud
-I don't cook                 -"P" days
-constant spirit             -getting mail
-devotionals                 -all the ♥ 
-S. Robinson                -many languages
-S. Hosea                      -many cultures
-my teachers                 -sleepovers (every night) 
-BYU Creamery           -exercise time
-So many people          -all the snacks
-learning French           -learning
-learning Tahitian         -growing testimony

                                       ^^Sister Wright and Elder Lewis 
                (another missionary from our ward that is also in the MTC)             

She also said that she was feeling home sick and told us of the "sounds" she missed from home. This most likely stems from getting to talk to us on Mother's Day (which was amazing, by the way!) as well as getting ready to leave the United States - home.  Here's the list of things she misses from home:

-ping pong                      -Abbie
-giggles                          -Baby Kai 
-you tube                        -the van door "beeps"
-GMM                            -fridge "beeps"
-doorbell                        -music and movies playing
-food                               -hugs
-her shower                     -having a cup to call her own
-laying on the couch       -carpeted stairs
-the view                         -and YOU.

Today, Mickey expressed being nervous. When I asked her what she was nervous about, she said, "To embark on a journey to Tahiti. I'm nervous that I don't know the language and it is something completely new."

I can only imagine how daunting it is to think about the new life she has in front of her. To leave EVERYTHING she knows to go forth to a new land, culture, people, language, food, etc. To preach the gospel and share her testimony at 20 years old can be a bit intimidating. It's a BIG deal!  As I've reflected on the past nine weeks and go back to Mickey's first few days in the MTC, I see so much courage, faith and strength. I'm proud of what she has accomplished and know that those qualities that got her through the MTC are exactly the same qualities that will get her through the next couple of days as she fights through the nerves of going into a new and unfamiliar life. 

That being said, today I asked Mickey what she was excited about for Tahiti. She said, "Literally everything." (which, ironically, are some of the same things she's nervous about.) "Food, culture, speaking Tahitian, speaking French, new place, new people, away from the MTC, new country, literally, all of it is exciting." 

She will do a wonderful job as a missionary in Tahiti. She has the faith and willingness it takes to be a missionary. She has the work ethic to be disciplined and dedicated. She has the faith, heart and love to embrace the Tahitians so they can feel the Spirit testify. When hard times arise and they surely will, she will give her all and the Lord will bless her for her efforts. I look forward to the next year and a half and she and I both know she is "as prepared and as ready as [she] will ever be."

Read on for this weeks' final letter from the MTC:


IAORANA!! - E oaoa vau i te TAHITI!

Je vais à TAHITI. 

We had the pleasure of hearing from Joy D. Jones in our Tuesday Devotional! She shared with us the importance of enjoying the now! (or maybe she didn't but that is what I got out of it) There will always be something to worry about, so worry about what is going on right now. D&C 84: 84-85 "therefore, let tomorrow take thought for the things of itself. Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man."

During Infield Orientation we compared missionary work to a $100 bill. Put it this way: Pretend you're walking around offering everyone a $100 bill. You offered, some accept, some decline. They have that choice (At least you offered it). Now, if you're thinking logically, then you'd say that Everyone could use a $100..I agree.  Now compare that $100 to the message of the Gospel. The Gospel is of grand valuer and everyone could use it, but just because we offer, doesn't mean people are going to accept it. Everyone has their agency to choose, the important thing is that we offer! -I don't ever want someone to feel like they "weren't invited." 

Funny Story time! When you're learning a new language,  it is evident that you're going to say something ridiculous, probably sooner rather than later. In my case, I will be doing it twice as much in the same time frame! HA. (Laugh it up, fuzzball) 
In Tahitian, Tanae means Man and Satane means Satan. Now, I know you think I'm ridiculous because they don't even look kind of similar, but in Tahitian all "S" are pronounced as a "T." Yeaaaaaah.. So my investigator was explaining something she didn't like about her husband, and I said "WAIT! You don't want to live with your family because they worship Satan?" And she about DIED. She laughed so hard... and the best part is that I still didn't have any clue as to what was going on until after the lesson. Tahitian is cool.. 
Oh Yeah, I also tried asking my teacher if she likes Rock Climbing in French, and accidentally asked if she was a Mountain, and of course she looked at me with a straight face and said "Oui. Je suis une Montagne." (I am a mountain..) - They won't let me live that one down. 

I literally pray in 3 languages all at once. Talk about mentally challenged. Hopefully God can decipher the codes I'm sending him.  

I will be Flying to the Islands on Monday! -I know. I know. You're all dying to see the Blue water, and palm trees. So am I. 
Maururu! - Thank you!
Abientôt! - I'll see you soon!
Ua Here au ia oe! - I love you!

Keep smiling!
♥/Tuahine Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment