Friday, June 16, 2017

Tahiti - Week 3

"I AM SO GOOD.
I LOVE THIS WEEK.
I LOVE IT HERE"
-Sœur Wright

^^^ Does anyone else just love this picture?!!  

Sister Wright had a great week! YAY! She is getting more accustomed to her new life in Tahiti. She loves the people, their simplicity and love for others. 

When I asked Mickey what her favorite part of the week was, she answered, 
"I laughed this week for the first time in awhile." 
She is starting to understand Tahitian humor. She said she's missed having sore abs from laughing so hard and this week she had them. That made my heart both happy and sad. If you truly know Mickey, you know she loves to laugh, so to hear that she hasn't laughed in awhile made my heart break. I was so sad for her. It's been an adjustment for me to picture our rather happy Mickey unhappy. But she is doing better and I can physically see that she is finally adjusting and life will just get better from here on out. :)

The most challenging part of Mickey's week that she feels she still doesn't speak French.  Now, obviously, that's from her perspective. I hear that she is doing well! ...besides that, she was blessed with the gift of tongues and it's real.  It will take time for her to be fluent, but I can promise, I know she will be able to say exactly what she needs to say in the moment she needs to say it. I personally, can testify of the power in that and since Sœur Wright is on the Lord's errand, she has that power.

Sister Wright mentioned how different the food tastes. Specifically meat, kit kats and ice cream. The meat there is "interesting", the ice cream "isn't creamy" like ours and "all chocolate is pretty expensive" but she buys it anyway. 

I asked how she was getting along with her companion, Sœur Teahu and she replied that she is so sweet and they get along, but the language barrier is a problem for them. That being said, she is grateful Sœur Teahu doesn't speak English much because it has really forced her to study French. 
 ♥ I love how inspiring Sœur Wright is! ♥

I wanted to know what Mickey appreciated most about Tahiti. Her answer isn't at all surprising: She said, "That it is warm! I couldn't imagine doing this in the cold." She also likes "that the members are so accepting and helpful, and that it's so beautiful in Tahiti."  


Below is a picture of one of Mickey's investigators. Her name is Laina. Sœur Wright loves her. She carved the wood in the picture and carves things all the time. 
Mickey has talked to me a lot about this sister. She is extremely talented. 


Below is the house Mickey lives in.



I'm so grateful that Mickey continues to do better each week! 
A special thanks to everyone who continues to pray on Sœur Wright's behalf!
...

Read on for Mickey's letter:

Iaorana tout le monde!
I hope all is well back home! Vous me manquez! Je pense à vous tout le temps! ️
I got my bike this week! Its a mountain monster.-to say the least. Its the biggest bike 
any of the other missionaries have seen, and it just looks like its "built Ford tough!" 
So we call it a truck.. 4x4 (quatre quatre) 
-on the bright side, I'll literally be mountain biking with the Flying Monkeys this season 
(just on a different kind of mountain,in the middle of the ocean).


On my morning runs with Sr. Mendenhall this week, I saw some of the coolest things! 
Sunrises in Tahiti, Tropical rainstorms, and STINGRAYS! 
(I didn't take my camera any of the days but I will from now on) -I'm sorry for the disappointment!
My companion, Sr Teahu and I had a few interesting encounters with OLB this week! 
-OLB stands for "ouvrir la bouche" (open the mouth). 
Its like going door to door, but instead we stand in front of yards and call for people to come 
talk with us. We do this because EVERYONE has a guard chien (dog), or 6... 
Okay, OLB - we ran into a few protestants who calm and collectively yelled at us in Tahitian, 
which I don't understand yet, then thanked us for our devotion and love in French, which I did understand. 
Later, Sr. Teahu explained that they were calling us liars and saying mean things about us, 
until they found out that I was American. All in all, Protestants don't like Mormons.
Its not safe to OLB on weekends or holidays because a lot of people drink, or in the dark because of all the dogs.


TRANSFERS - every transfer we have a multi-zone conference with the Mission president for a few trainings. 
I was able to sing a solo of "I'm trying to be like Jesus." -I'm using some of the gifts God gave me! 
(also, braiding comes in handy! Everyone asks me to braid their hair) 
Anyway, I am staying in the same sector with ma maman (my trainer)! 


Also, Sr. Mendenhall and Sr. Garbutt are staying too (my favorite people) so I couldn't be more excited! I love my sector, and I LOVE the people here. ♥♥


I got a smootie from Macdo this week! and I learned not to ask for any more than 1 bowl of ice cream. These Tahitian's know how to eat... NEVER ask what you're eating until after you eat it!! I had heart kabobs this week.

We got a toilet seat!!! :D


I have successfully made it 3 weeks in Tahiti without getting a
sunburn! (Hold your applause)


Je vous aime! ♥♥

♥ HAPPY FATHER'S DAY THIS WEEK!! ♥
Especially to my dad! I love and miss you! Big hugs! ♥

Keep smiling!
♥/Tuahine Wright

...

*If you are at all wondering how Sœur Wright got a toilet seat this week, I will expand on the story:
She was at the store with her District Leader and Mickey mentioned that they didn't have a toilet seat. (Which I can TOTALLY picture!) He said, "Oh...well, you should." Which, I'm sure Mickey had a response to! ...so he called the mission headquarters and was approved to buy a toilet seat...AND a shower head, because apparently they didn't have one of those either! I can't tell you how happy I am for her! I can't imagine her having to squat every time she had to use the toilet! I'm sure the new shower head will feel like a rejuvenating massage too! 
YAY for Sœur Wright! :)


...well, until next week!
Love,
Aunt Jess ♥








No comments:

Post a Comment