Sunday, August 6, 2017

Tahiti - Week 10

TRUE GRATITUDE
"I learned the importance of TRUE gratitude. I feel like I've always been fairly 'grateful' but this week, at my lowest point, when it was the hardest to be thankful, I searched."


Sœur Wright is doing really well! Her sickness is gone! YAY! She said it was because of our prayers. She has always been a wonderful example of having a positive attitude and this week was additional proof of that. I am constantly amazed at what this girl overcomes and endures through. Read on to experience week number ten.


It really was a great week. I woke up telling myself every day that it was going to be a good day and each time, it was. However, one day in particular stood out above the others. I woke up already sad that the day was eventually going to be over. We didn't have anything out of the ordinary planned, but I just felt extra happy. After morning prayer I got into the shower and just cried because I had so much gratitude in my heart. The water was cold, and it was coming out of the pipe on the wall, but I couldn't help to feel so much gratitude for all that I DO have here in Tahiti, and all that I have in America. We are so so so blessed, and I don't think we take enough time to show our gratitude. Sometimes, I think we have so much that we don't even realize what a blessing it really is.

I've been sleeping a lot better this week too. I'm almost to the point where I only wake up in the night once 
(which is a blessing!) 

*Uncle Vaughn! This story is for YOU:
Mickey and I were discussing her sleeping and she said, "I think the sleeping better is caused by me letting go of all my stress at night and really focusing on relaxing. I actually tell myself to "Relax" all the time, and I think of Vaughn every time I do it. I say it like he does too, in the grouchy tone." haha

^^Mickey said this is how they take their naps!^^ 
But, seriously, isn't it so cute?!

Elder Johansson of the 70 came to our stake conference this week! So cool! I've really had the opportunity to see so many general authorities, as well as to feel the love they have for us. He talked to us about trusting in the lord with all we do. To be willing to put God above all else. If we can do that, then we have no need to fear because he will take care of us. He really had such a Strong testimony. 

Spoiler alert: 
Mickey and the other missionaries will also get a visit from 
Elder Gary Stevensen on the 26th! SO neat!

I've studied and definitely learned things about myself, both strengths and weaknesses that I have and want to change for the better. Funny story is that you've sent me some of the same scriptural references and words of advice. (JESS. ITS A SIGN!! You're a psychologist! Or a mother! Or inspired! Or maybe it was just a random guess, but you have been very helpful for me!) a few of the things I really want to work on are not being so much of a people pleaser, and not stressing as much. 


Marie-ange explained to us this week that she's willing to do whatever it takes to get baptized, so we're going to try for the 27th of August! -right now we're still working on the word of wisdom with her. She smokes on average 20 cigarettes a day. -I asked her what gives her the motivation to follow Christs example and she told me that she's always known the true happiness, but she's given into her boyfriend every time, and placed him above anything else. -it ruined the relationship she had with her parents. Until one day she realized that he makes her happy in the moment but her family treats her better. That's where she's most happy. -also, Sr Teahu jokingly asked if one day she'd like to go on a mission and she looked at us a little funny (kind of how I did to you that one time, Jess) and then said yeah!! So we let her put on our plaques!! Ahh I love their family. Seriously. They're in the poorest part of Tahiti. They literally live on the beach, in a tin shack with like 2 sources of running water that they all share (like 6 families). They have 7 children, and they take care of even more than that. They're so humble, giving and loving. I love them.


The person who influenced Mickey the most this week:
We're saying "Na Na" to Elder Drugeon today. ): he's been my district leader since I got here, and I can honestly say he's the best missionary I've met thus far. He's really given all his efforts into being a great example and reaching out to us enfants (children) (missionaries in training) -Elder Davis, Sœur Garbutt and myself. He's given me blessings, words of advice and lots of laughs. We love him! We wish him all the luck with his wedding in 3 weeks...... 😀(no exaggeration) but really, he's awesome and France is lucky to have him.


*A special shout out to Kathy: 
"Will you give Kathy MaCallister a big  hug for me? 
"I love that sweet woman."

We played hang man with a few of the elders in our zone and Sœur Fox while waiting for our interviews with President Fox, it was my first time writing in French for people who speak French.. HAHAH. Okay, well i quote Ether 3:5 in French ALL the time because it's the little reminder that if Christ can do all he did, then I can do this. So I used it as my hangman phrase except I said "Tu pu le faire" instead of saying "Tu peux le faire." They sound the same, except one means "You can do it" and the other means "You stink..." i definitely told everyone they stink. -French. haha

^^The church^^

-there's pretty much one road in Tahiti. It goes around the whole island, some times crossing inlets of water or right next to the ocean. All the other streets are somehow attached to that road. Over the past few weeks we've been able to take a few tours around the whole island (for conferences and whatnot) and believe it or not there are a few tunnels we pass through and every time I scream (just like we do as a family on road trips). The first few times it caught everyone off guard, then became annoying to the point that everyone told me to stop, followed by everyone doing it. I've started a trend, my family. :D everyone thinks of me while going through tunnels now, and i think of YOU! <3

^^This isn't the "one" road Mickey was talking about,^^ 
but it is a trail she runs on in the mornings.

Elder Claflin thought he was being so clever when he said "I've figured it out! After your mission you can have a 'Mr right for Sister Wright!'" Unfortunately, it's not the first time I've heard that one, but I let him have it.. 😂


I ate fafaru. It's literally raw fish that's sat in salt water, fermenting for days, if not weeks. It smells like rotten eggs and definitely doesn't taste any better. Not awful, I guess if you like the smell of stinky farts.


I saw the biggest spider of my life just under the toilet seat at the church.. People always wonder why I look!! I almost died! (No worries.. I held it in) seriously the size of a soft ball.


We cleaned out all of our cupboards this week because we decided that we had too many dishes.. (these are all from dinners that have been delivered to the missionaries) Yes.. we gave them all away, and we still have a kitchen FULL!



Mickey made No Bake Cookies and took them to a neighbor and now everyone asks for them. They are a hit! Looks like she did a great job!
^^


^^Maui's hook!!  haha - Mickey carved this!^^ 
She is getting quite talented in the carving department, it's fun to see all the fun things she has been carving!

 ^^Mickey loves these kids - and they love her [the missionaries]^^ - turns out the missionaries have the key to open the church parking lot so they can play! haha

^^rainbow^^

^^A fellow ward member made and gave this lei to Mickey^^

I was feeling extra grateful this week that Mickey had a wonderful week. Even though she is so far away and I know she is safe, I worry about her. I genuinely care about her well being - physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally. 
This week, as I was thinking about Mickey, I was able to relate to our Heavenly Father: he cares for each one of us so deeply and in time, he wants us to return home to him.  When that great day comes for us, I can only imagine that he will engulf us in a big hug where we will feel the unending love he has always had for us and feel his gratitude in the positive progress we made on our Earthly missions and and then relate to us how proud he is of our accomplishments and willingness to follow Christ.  I know I see my own children and Mickey with those same eyes. Just as the Lord looks forward to hearing from us through prayer, I always look forward to hearing from Mickey. It's like Christmas for me! SO exciting and I can't wait to hear of all the surprises that took place in her week. When her mission is successfully complete, I look forward to the BIG embrace that I know will follow. My heart will already be full of the feelings I imagine Heavenly Father to have for us.  
I know the Lord blesses Sister Wright 
in her mission service as he does our family also.  
I'm SO beyond grateful this girl has been in my life. 
She has forever blessed my heart. 
♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment