Saturday, May 5, 2018

APRIL 9, 2018

Week 45
Tough news and a move

For those that know our family on a very personal level know that we have been occupied with several events that have kept us pretty busy and close to our family. I will disclose some details of those events in the next couple of posts.

This week was a particularly hard week. 
...Little did we know, the next would be harder. 

Sunday, April 8th, Mickey's Grandpa was admitted into the hospital for serious dehydration. In a matter of a very short period, he was unable to keep any food down and was losing a lot of weight...like 2 pounds per day. His doctor took him in for an immediate exploratory surgery.  Long story short, Dr. Kim found out Grandpa had a blockage, three large masses and TONS of cancer throughout his abdomen area. There was really nothing they could do, ....it would be a matter of time before the cancer would take him.  They sewed him back up and calls were made to all his children. 

Those that know Mickey well know she has always had a special bond with her Grandpa. I struggled to know how we should break this devastating news to her so I did the only thing I knew how to do: pray for inspired counsel. 

It was close to 9 PM her time when I felt a STRONG prompting to let Mickey's mission president know what was going on. He thought it was best to tell her immediately, so he made the call. Obviously, she was in tears. She was able to receive an immediate Priesthood blessing and was given wonderful care from her companion and roommates. She was able to remember her good memories with her Grandpa which brought comfort and even some laughs.

The next day was P-Day and obviously, we were both anxious to converse. The President gave Mickey special permission to message me so we could discuss the situation and answer any questions she may have. Of course the were many.  The Dr. told us Grandpa had months to live so obviously it was an emotional time. Mickey displayed strength and made the decision to remain on her mission because that's what Grandpa would want her to do.  I was SO proud of her for choosing to follow thru on her commitment to serve the Lord and her ability to find the good despite a hard time. I told her she would be greatly blessed for her willingness and sacrifice. Many prayers would be said in her behalf for strength and comfort.

Here was her week:


"Corosol -- It's a fruit, which was surprisingly sweet and tasty." 


"​I've turned into a cat lady. HA I just felt bad that there were so many cats without food so I'd give them our leftovers."​


"OH. we moved this week! Unfortunately there is only air conditioning in 1 room. Fortunately, WE HAVE AIR CONDITIONING!!!! And the fact that it's only in 1 room gives us an excuse to have a sleep over every night. (: I LOVE our new house. It's a duplex that is super cute and CLEAN! (which is a change from the last house..):


"Members give us enough food for a family of 5.. every time."


"Cold showers are never an enjoyable thing, especially when they're unexpected." 

"I'm the mom of our house. -Who would have thought a mission would literally prepare me to be a mom?""

"I got the death-call this week! I will OFFICALLY be headed home AUGUST 23rd to the St George Utah airport. - Flight plans should be here in about 1 week. I had mixed feelings about that call. I Love it here, and I'm definitely not ready to leave."
♡♡


No comments:

Post a Comment